- DATE: April 17 -19, 2020
- TIME: 10:00am to 5:00pm
FEE: $585 (fee includes daily catered lunch by Sucre&Sel)
LOCATION: 1401 S. Bloodworth St. Raleigh, NC 27610
SUPPLIES LIST: Keep reading, you’ll find it below Cancellation Policy
LEVEL: previous watercolor experience required | STUDENTS: max. 18, minimum 16
This workshop is an intense 3 days of inspiration, hard work and productive learning.
Capture the magic of watercolors in this 3 days painting workshop with Alvaro Castagnet. This is an opportunity to have fun learning from an energetic and colorful master of expressive watercolor.
Alvaro begins with philosophical introduction and then follows by
a simple “one go” demonstration. The demo will focus on bold composition with understanding of the 4 Pillars.
You will learn how to make quick decisions and simplify your subject to achieve most impact. We will discuss color relationships, tonal range, forms & shapes and edges. Participants will then paint until we break for lunch. Alvaro will assist and advice on works in progress. Participants are asked to start a second painting for the afternoon session, after Alvaro’s 2nd. demonstration. Alvaro will supervise participants until 5 pm each day. (10 to 5 PM)
On the last day, will be the final critique session, where every participant will show the favorite painting they have produced, and will go home not only feeling great with their achievement, but realizing how much they have learned after having so much fun, and with a clear understanding of the strength and weakness of their paintings.
ALVARO CASTAGNET was born in Montevideo, in the beautiful South American country of Uruguay. His early interest in art was cultivated mainly by his father, who sent him to the National School of Art in Montevideo at a very young age where he was taught by Professor Esteban Garino. Castagnet carried on his formal education in art at the Fine Arts University, where Miguel Angel Pareja was his oil painting tutor.
Castagnet migrated to Australia in 1983, and lived there enjoying the cosmopolitan and forward-looking attitude of that country for 20 years. Alvaro Castagnet is fluent in Spanish, Italian, and English and currently lives in Montevideo, Uruguay. Castagnet has been holding solo exhibitions since 1985, and has been recognised with dozens of awards over the last 30 years.
“The latest with Alvaro was probably the best I’ve ever taken from a learning standpoint; I was finally able to free up my work. I enjoyed his fantastic personality. He is one great character!” Bob
“I just wanted to say thank you for the wonderful workshop at the Hudson River Art Workshops. You have opened my eyes to the incredible possibilities of the medium and ignited a desire to really go after learning how to master watercolor!”
• “Your teaching, passion for art and life, and generosity of sharing your knowledge is so very much appreciated.” Deborah
• “Love the paintings and the inspirational insights! Thank you for sharing and thank you for keeping the many aspiring painters around the globe continuously challenged and on our collective toes!! You are a role model to us all!!” Mick.
• “On my behalf I must tell you that you absolutely changed the way I see the world, and I feel very grateful for that. You gave us more than a usual bag of tips and tricks, but a vision. You are a great artist and a wonderful person. To see you work miracles every day, twice a day, and share it so generously with us was a life-changing experience.” Irina
• “Alvaro, since I took your workshop, I received four awards for paintings I did subsequently. You definitely helped me be bolder, but I still have a long way to go….Thanks so much!!” Robert
• “Alvaro completed 10 demonstration paintings! His critiques of our work were perceptive, honest and tremendously helpful. I learned so much from him, well beyond techniques. Indeed practical strategies for maximizing one’s personal “footprint as an artist” (his expression) using the water color medium, is his passion.” Cheryl
CANCELLATION POLICY (NEW!)
If a month before the workshop we haven’t reached the minimum amount of students for the workshop to happen the workshop will be canceled and students will receive a full refund.
If you cancel less than 60 DAYS prior to the start of a workshop you will receive half of your registration fee, If you cancel less than 30 DAYS prior the start of the workshop you will not receive a refund. If you must cancel in this time frame we encourage you to find a replacement, and your replacement can reimburse you for your course fee. If you cancel before the 60-day limit you will receive a full refund minus 3% processing fee. Unfortunately, students who start a multiple-day class and are unable to attend any portion will not receive a refund.
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY (NEW!)
Workshop will be canceled or rescheduled if inclement weather (hurricanes, snow storm, tropical storm, black ice, flooding, etc.) is on the forecast. No one should take any unnecessary risks. If the workshop is canceled, all registration money will be returned to the students minus 3% processing fee. The workshop will be rescheduled if possible for both parties.
- French Ultramarine Blue
- Cobalt Blue
- Cerulean Blue
- Organic Vermillion
- Alizarin Crimson
- Burnt Sienna Light
- Hansa Yellow Deep
- Yellow Ochre
- Pyrrol Red
- Neutral Tint
- Caliente Grey (DS)
- Fresco Grey (DS)
• Titanium White (Daniel Smith)
• Jaune Brilliant #1 (Holbein)
• Brown Madder
• Mayan Orange
• Pyrrol Orange (Daniel Smith)
• Green Turquoise Light
Please bring the best you can afford. Alvaro will try to bring some to the workshop.
• Preferable, round big, MOP shape and pointed brushes sable or squirrel (not synthetic!)
(Suggested: Alvaro’s Signature Brushes made of Premier Squirrel hair, soft and very absorbent, with long handles. # 10, 6, 4, 2, 0, 00, 000, 5/00 and 10/00)
• 1 rigger or needlepoint for fine details and lines (like Alvaro’s #8 #6 #10)
• Small synthetic brushes # 4, 5, 6 (for fine detail work) or 8,10 & 12 (Alvaro’s Escoda Set)
For workshops, it is best to use from 1/4 to 1/2 sheet size, but of course, you can paint, in any size you feel comfortable. Alvaro will mostly demonstrate in 1/2 sheets.
• Arches or Saunders Waterford 300 grams / 140 p Rough texture off white
• Some smooth paper for charcoal sketches.
Paper sizes Alvaro uses: 1/2 imperial = 56x38cms. 1/4 imperial = 38x28cms. Panoramic= 56x19cms
Sponges, towel, tissues, water container, masking tape, 2b –6b pencil, charcoal sticks, water spray bottle, hair dryer, Painting boards & lightweight easel for outdoor painting (weather permitted). And lots of good sense of humor!! www.facebook.com/AlvaroCastagnet